Pinecrest Village

A Great Place to Live

Upcoming Events

To Read as a PDF, click here

 

AUGUST 4, 2017 Meeting Minutes

CALL TO ORDER (Time 6:35)

POLICE OFFICER not present

COUNCILMAN  FLYNN/ DANA not present

OFFICERS REPORTS

PRESIDENT – ROB COLLINS  On vacation, see attached report (SEE ATTACHED REPORT)

VP – OPEN

SECRETARY - CARA MEEKER -  READ MINUTES OF LAST MEETING (6/6)

Motion made to approve June meeting minutes, approved.  

TREASURER – NANCY POLAK                         

Various bills paid for June and July, see report for details.               BALANCE $7741.36

COMMITTEE REPORTS

MEMBERSHIP – JOHN POLAK

172 houses have paid their dues for the year, which is on track with previous years. John will send out 2nd reminder to homes with dues still outstanding.

PARKS – KATRINA REED

Repairs are needed for park path “ankle turners” and the mud puddles where water pools. Katrina will contact Dana about these issues.

SAFETY – RICK REED

Attended Commander’s meeting. They discussed the upcoming issues around enforcement of fireworks laws for the 4th of July. Enforcement is difficult, (Board also discussed that it can be a deterrent for individuals to report violations because complainant must sign complaint form for police to record the complaint.) There will be some sting operations.

SOCIAL – COURTNEY MANN 

Movie in the Park night went well, good turnout. Would like to do another one in September.

FUTURE EVENTS

HOLIDAY PARTY December 2rd date set. Since PVIA is a long-standing client, the hotel is not requiring a deposit for the space. Next steps is deciding on menu.

CONCERT IN THE PARK, AUG. 12, 7:00. Will encourage families will bring picnic items and come early.

ARCHITECTURAL CONTROL – MIKE SCHUH

2 calls were made for solar panels, permits were approved. A couple sheds have also gone up, which requires permits as well. The “Farmhouse” was finally torn down, will be keeping an eye on the ongoing development of that lot. Discussion among the group was had regarding problem yards and railings. (See new business below)

ISLAND/ENTRANCE – KAY REED not present

VILLAGE EDITOR – JANE BROWN nothing to report

BLOCK REPS – ANY not present

OLD BUSINESS

Facebook page update: As of August meeting, 20 households had joined so far and going well. Will continue to provide information on the page and encourage neighbors to join.

NEW BUSINESS

4th of July Fireworks Enforcement

Residents Randy V. and Tom K. attended the meeting and reported major issues with fireworks during and after the holiday.

Tom’s truck and yard was hit with bottle rockets. He feels like he needs to stay home on the 4th to protect his property.

Randy called the hotline to deal with large party and firework use across from his home. Was willing to make a complaint but was unable to deal with the issue in the moment.

Board members agreed that this year was worse than ever and a unified and more orchestrated effort to curb this issue will need to be formulated for 2018. Action plan ideas were discussed, including the use of private security, off-duty officers, statements in the newsletter and signage in the neighborhood leading up to the holiday, distributing flyers. Board agreed to work on a plan and have it worked out in advance for next year.

Home and Yard Issues

Based on comments about poorly kept yards and home exteriors, a discussion was had about what the board can do to help encourage the upkeep of homes and what programs may be available to help people in need of repairs. Financial assistance programs in Denver exist, depending on income and if the individual home can qualify. Board also discussed potential volunteer efforts. Mike Schuh agreed to facilitate future discussion about brainstorming ways for the PVIA board to be involved in keeping neighbors accountable and in compliance with neighborhood aesthetic standards. A couple problem houses were also identified and it was agreed that we should speak with the owners directly.

OTHER BUSINESS / ISSUES/ANNOUNCEMENTS

The MLS description on a new resident’s home stated that there was no HOA.

Katrina found some old flyers from Denver water, Cara took them and will scan the info to present online for residents

A meth pipe was found in a yard. Reminder to report everything to police.

MEETING CLOSED AT (Time 7:45)

 

PRESIDENTS REPORT

AUGUST 2017

Rob attended the district 4 commanders community meeting on july 12.

The majority of the meeting was focused on the police response and enforcement of the fireworks ban in the city and county of denver.

There were 3100 calls for service to the various department phone numbers.

1100 of those calls were from within district 4 (36% of the total). There were 60 citations issued to offenders in our district. The low number of citations issued is due to the fact that people who reported offenders would not sign the complaints. The responding officer either needs to observe the person lighting the fireworks or needs an eye witness of the activity to sign the police report as the complaintant. Fear of retaliation by the offender of others was the reason given for not signing the paperwork. The city and the department are looking into other avenues to increasing compliance with the fireworks ban for the new years and next years july 4th.

The meeting also focused on the increase in auto thefts and theft from vehicles in our district. The numbers have risen greatly since the schools have been on summer break. The single most important thing people can do to prevent these types of crime is to lock their vehicle. Every time you get out of your car, lock it. Parking in the street increases your chances of being a victim by 40%.

They commander also reminded attendies that if you see something that looks suspicious or out of the ordinary for your neighborhood, report it to them. If we don’t report things, they can not respond. Every time they get a call from a neighborhood, they make a record of it. If there is an increase in reported suspicious activity in an area, they will add more patrols through that area.

Rob also attended the loretto heights redevelopment meeting on july 27 at councilman flynn’s office. The group was advised of the activities pertaining to the pending sale of the 78 acre site to a private developer. Bids are still being accepted and a number of issues were discussed about possible future uses of the property.

Rob also recently received an email through the web site pertaining to the use of back yard fire pits in the neighborhood. He is formulating a response and will keep the rest of the board informed via email.